Vectorworks Releases Version 2018 and Entertainment Rigging Analysis Module
September 12, 2017A milestone release that focuses on BIM usability, design productivity and analysis
Columbia, MD (September 12, 2017) —- Global design and BIM software developer Vectorworks, Inc. announces the English-version release of its 2018 Vectorworks software. The release includes Vectorworks® Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, Designer and Fundamentals, as well as Vision. New this year is Braceworks™, a structural load analysis add-on module targeted to designers and riggers working on temporary entertainment structures.
"With Vectorworks 2018, we focused on user workflows, making them more robust and efficient," said Vectorworks CEO Dr. Biplab Sarkar. "In BIM, you can best see this in our direct section and elevation editing and multiview capabilities, and more subtly in all the Wall tool enhancements that allow designers to correctly model wall constructions so walls appear accurately in plan, section and elevation drawings. The direct site model contour editing and enhanced seating sections are other good examples of our usability improvements."
Another theme for this launch was the integration of analysis and design. With the addition of Braceworks to the entertainment portfolio that already includes the industry-leading Spotlight and Vision software, entertainment professionals can complete their entire workflow, from design to documentation to production, in one interface. Also, customers will notice the simplification of Vectorworks worksheet capabilities, which makes it easier for them to create custom reports from model or drawing data.
This release is the first in the 2018 worldwide rollout, which will include the release of ten additional localized-language versions.
Some of the highly anticipated additions for Vectorworks 2018 include:
- Multiple drawing views: Use multiple views of a project simultaneously, and begin work in one view pane and finish it in another. Switch effortlessly between viewports, views and visibility settings — simply set up panes and view them all at once. Instantly gauge the impact of a design change across 3D, plan, section and elevation views, and even start a rendering in one view while working in another.
- Direct section and elevation editing: Edit models directly from viewports: add openings, align and distribute windows, reposition doors across multiple layers, reshape walls — it’s all possible. Change the 3D views while in the section to see how edits simultaneously affect plans and model views. And, create better-looking, more-accurate drawings in a fraction of the time.
For architecture, notable improvements include:
- Improved graphic output for architectural documents: Generate documentation from a BIM file much more efficiently. Improved graphic controls within section views of wall joins and wall, or slab and roof components provides the flexibility to quickly achieve high-quality documentation from a 3D model.
- Robust wall modeling options: Control individual component heights by instance, attach information to them, insert component caps and simultaneously edit multiple selected components from an easy-to-use dialog box. Plus, swiftly make wall graphic display changes with the new ability to switch all attributes by class.
- Easier title block customization: Customize items such as variables and orientation, choose from an unlimited set of information to include in a title block, and use styles to more simply manage many title blocks across one or multiple projects.
- Streamlined drawing distribution: Publish drawings based on issue date and a tightly integrated new title block object; generate and distribute drawing sets, issue information and reports throughout the duration of a project; and automate the typically laborious process of creating a BIM project or lighting a stage
Enhancements for entertainment design include:
- New zoom option for video and blended screens: It's now easier than ever to manage the planning and visualization of video screens in designs. With new graphic output capabilities, more accurately understand, estimate and adjust available throw and zoom, to enable final equipment choices earlier in the design process.
- Enhanced seating section: Choose from additional layout methods, multiple seat numbering options and graphic controls to easily set and modify seating sections from the Object Info palette. Generate more precise seating layout visualizations for an event and automate seating schedules for inventory and ordering.
For landscape design, important updates include:
- >Direct site model contour editing: Edit a site model easier than ever with improved site model settings and direct 2D contour editing. Modify each contour line as easily as editing a polyline.
- New import/export tree survey options: Generate existing site conditions from GIS and tree survey data without the need for external tools. Just use geolocated tree species data to create existing tree objects and export back to clients via Shapefile (SHP), TXT and DXF formats.
As in past years, many updates to the software directly correlated with customer feedback. Designers with early access have already begun to share their thoughts on the new edition.
"Truly amazing new features for Vectorworks, ones that will make working in 3D and using BIM workflows much easier and more compelling," said Jonathan Reeves, director of Jonathan Reeves Architecture.
Additional testimonials are below:
"Multiple view drawing support will be one of the most celebrated features of Vectorworks 2018. It gives users the ability to think about projects in different ways and from different perspectives, all at the same time!" –C. Andrew Dunning, Owner of Landru Design
"I really like the new improved title block — it is easier to use, and it puts the details needed for project information, and issue and revision data all in one place — for easier management and tracking." –Chad Hamilton, AIA, LEED, AP, BD+C, Principal Architect at Hamilton + Aitken Architects
"Braceworks is an extremely helpful tool to simplify and shorten the workflow within our projects. It allows us to calculate loads directly from the CAD plan and to analyze the feasibility at any time. The easy connection to our partners in the field of structural analysis considerably reduces the costs in this area and ensures faster results. This makes it possible for us to work in constant exchange and thus always to achieve the best solution with a comparable, favorable price." – John van Look, Head of Production Rigging at PRG Germany
"Direct contour editing, where have you been all my life? I’m In Love! Our digital terrain modeling workflow with the site modeling tools, was quite often a lot of experimentation and modification to achieve the desired grade. Now with the ability to directly edit the site model contours in Vectorworks 2018, our workflow has been cut in half. This has greatly improved our design production, giving us a higher profitability on site grading throughout!" –Bryan Goff, Director of Design + Sciences at Grey Leaf Design, Inc.
"The new Renderworks is an amazing upgrade, with more detail and quality of lighting being delivered at the same speed in Vectorworks 2017, or shockingly — even faster." –Ion Webster, Principal at Pults & Associates, LLP
Beginning today, the English-language version of Vectorworks 2018 software is available by download for Vectorworks Service Select customers.
Press interested in learning more about this release can access the Vectorworks 2018 press kit at vectorworks.net/2018/press. For further information and requests, contact Communications Manager Lauren Burke Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Vectorworks, Inc.
Vectorworks, Inc. is a global design and BIM software developer serving over 650,000 professionals in the architecture, landscape and entertainment industries. Since 1985, we’ve been committed to helping designers capture inspiration, nurture innovation, communicate effectively and bring their visions to life. With our cross-platform software, designers can build data-rich, visual models without sacrificing the design process, while collaborating efficiently throughout the project life-cycle. Headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with offices in Atlanta, Georgia and Newbury, England, Vectorworks is a part of the Nemetschek Group. Learn how we empower designers to create experiences that transform the world at vectorworks.net.
Author: Lauren Burke