Open BIM Overview
Open BIM is a universal approach to the collaborative design, realization and operation of buildings based on open standards and workflows.Open BIM is an initiative of several leading software vendors using the open buildingSMART Data Model, also known as IFC.
Open BIM Programme is a marketing campaign initiated by GRAPHISOFT®, Tekla® and others to urge and facilitate globally coordinated promotion of the Open BIM concept throughout the AEC industry, with aligned communication and common branding available to programme participants.
Why is it important?
- Open BIM supports a transparent, open workflow, allowing project members to participate regardless of the software tools they use.
- Open BIM creates a common language for widely referenced processes, allowing industry and government to procure projects with transparent commercial engagement, comparable service evaluation and assured data quality.
- Open BIM provides enduring project data for use throughout the asset life--cycle, avoiding multiple input of the same data and consequential errors.
- Small and large (platform) software vendors can participate and compete on system independent, 'best of breed' solutions.
- Open BIM energizes the online product supply side with more exact user demand searches and delivers the product data directly into the BIM.